Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jean Jacket: A Reflection on Adolescence


Unkempt hair cut by my mother.
A dark jean jacket I felt lucky to have received
After all, I had wanted one for Christmas.
But not like this. Not dark blue.
Not like the sky on a night with no moon and no stars.
I wanted stone-washed, pale
bleached, almost white.
I rubbed it on the brick hearth to create the stone washed look
but it didn’t help, so it stayed
hidden in my closet – a gift
I wanted to be thankful for but felt
too ashamed to wear.

(This was a brief exercise as part of the mentor training for the Climbing Toward Confidence program. The facilitator read a passage from My Sisters’ Voices: Teenage Girls of Color Speak Out and asked us to reflect on our own adolescence.)

What's your story of adolescence? 

No comments: